[ale] login slowdown with large number of user accounts

dhhoward at comcast.net dhhoward at comcast.net
Thu Sep 10 12:15:37 EDT 2009

Folks, at my daughter's school we're seeing a huge slowdown in login time on K12Linux/Fedora10 after we added 1050 user accounts (one for each student). The server in question has only 100GB of hard disk space. Any ideas as to what is happening? Could each user account be automatically setting aside say 100MB of HDD storage resulting in no more swap space or something like that? Is there a config file somewhere that we could modify so that user accounts have less? Thanks, Daniel