[ale] Okay, I have HAD it with these...

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Thu Sep 3 21:45:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 13:59 -0400, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:42 PM, david w. millians <millia at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>         (Brian had a good suggestion about using UUIDs to tag fstab
>         and grub.
>         may try that this weekend. other ideas welcome, please!)

> I resisted going UUIDs myself, up until about 6 weeks ago.  Turns out
> to be best move I've made since grub and fstab both recognize them,
> and it make my bootable USB "rescue nearly everything" drive work at
> its best.
>
> I say it is time to take the plunge.

I seem to remember discussion on the LKML a long time back re: the
kernel changing how it enumerates devices because there were kludges to
doing it the way that they had done it.  Also, with the conversion to
the new device and kernel event system, my guess is that those kludges
were deemed to be no longer worth maintaining in kernel-land.

Also, I am pretty sure that hardware has gotten to be more complex and
less deterministic in PC-land, not sure about elsewhere.

However, the way things are done now with UUIDs is very nifty.  The only
thing better is LVM (and grub2, default boot loader in the forthcoming
Ubuntu 9.10 release, does not require a /boot partition to boot from, it
will boot kernels from LVM just fine), where you can use more
descriptive names for the logical volumes.  In that case I often just
use the LV's name, instead of the filesystem UUID.  This also works well
for testing things, e.g., btrfs, where I might format it often and the
fs will get a new UUID each time.

It'd be nice if other operating systems could grok and boot from Linux
LVM containers... then the stupid BIOS partitioning scheme could be
pretty much ignored, finally.  (Why don't we yet have EFI on x86/x86-64
systems again?)

	--- Mike