[ale] testing firegpg with mailman

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Nov 28 15:18:36 EST 2009

Jim,

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 14:23 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> OK. So Mailman is (maybe) munging the gpg signature. Fixing that will
> be a challenge if it's caused by signing the wrong sections of the
> message body.

Something is not right here.  I run a mailman site supporting several
dozen lists and multiple domains (IT-ISAC, ISAC Council, +++) and I
don't see this problem.  We use gpg/pgp all the time on those lists.
Furthermore, my own signatures through the ALE list seem to be coming
through fine.

Couple of years ago, I did run into a problem with MailScanner which
Julian and I took a few days to shoot.  In that case, MailScanner was
unpacking the mime and then repacking it (quoted printable in that case,
I believe).  While the contents of the attachments remained unaltered,
the encoding encapsulation changed (Mime is ambiguous on several points
and something time MailTools or MimeTools will pack something
differently than will Evolution or Thunderbird).  We had to stipulate
something in MailScanner where the message was passed unmolested if
nothing was found untoward in it, rather than repacking it and sending
it on.

There are a couple of MailScanner Mime settings that could impact this
but I seriously doubt it.

Try this for a test.  Send a message back to me and to the list.  Just a
Reply-All should do just fine.  I can do a byte for bye, attachment for
attachment comparison.  Make SURE <mhw at wittsend.com> is on the cc list,
so I get a direct copy.  You should be able to verify my signatures on
this message the same way.  Compare the results from the ALE relay to
the direct message.

Regards,
Mike