[ale] Live CD Challenge

Drew Brown nupedrew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:37:58 EST 2009

No . . . The thing I'm trying to do is very specific.
I want to put two .iso FILES (not CDs) on any system that has qemu.

Then, I want to use qemu to run one of them (like a CDrom).
I want a user account running within the first to be able to see and mount
the 2nd .iso.

This technique would allow me to have a live CD (that does not change) store

data in the subdirectory of the directory where the .iso is . . . .
It would allow me to mount an encrypted loopback filesystem and store data.
It would allow me the ability to ftp the 2nd .iso to another dedicated
server, etc.

Such a setup has a ton o' advantages; Primarily portability.

So far, I've been looking into "Breaking out of a chroot() jail":
   http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117632/49/
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
   http://linuxgazette.net/issue30/tag_chroot.html
   http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Abusing_chroot
   http://pentestmonkey.net/blog/chroot-breakout-perl/
   http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/jailkit.8.html

(That's part of the reason I posted the question on this list (because I
know
there are security experts that may be familiar with this technique).

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

--

Drew