[ale] Ripping DVDs to ISOs- advice? and hdmi question.

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:04:08 EST 2009

david w. millians wrote:
<snipped>
> I've got the audio ripped to flac...

great sound, but big files.  all my stuff has been ripped to mp3.  i
might lose some sound quality, but am happy overall with the
convenience.  besides, if i ever wanted to listen to the original i can
go pull it out of my storage room.  :)

> Now I've got to rip the dvds to the server, too. I've been using dvd
> decrypter to get them ripped, but some newer than that are failing. (I'm
> ripping to iso to get subtitles and everything just as normal; it's
> better than the alternative, even if it does take more space.)

wow.  i don't have the space for that even if i used something like
dvdshrink.  in the past i ripped everything to avi/divx and now do so to
mp4 (i also include the subtitles, alternate commentary, etc.).
Handbrake or Acidrip does a  pretty good job of this.

yesterday i had to use a program called DVDFab to decrypt the
information from a DVD i bought this weekend.  apparently it had a new
type of copy protection and the latest DVDFab was updated just for it.

> So, any other solution? And why is this necessary, even? Why can't you
> just use DD and be done with it? I know they're encrypted- is there
> something in a dvd player that enforces this and all data must flow through?

from my understanding there is a hardware 'decrytper/key' built into all
drives and players in an attempt to thwart piracy.  discs routinely are
created with various types of copy protection including purposely
instilling bad sectors/sections, falsifying disc size, and so forth.

the various ripping softwares attempt to emulate drive keys and
essentially circumvent the copy protection so you can create a backup of
the disc.  when new types of copy protection arise it takes the
programmers a bit to reverse engineer the said protection, but they get
it worked out reasonably quick.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/