[ale] loading a new system from rpm list

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:21:54 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Steven A. DuChene <
linux-clusters at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I have been requested to load a duplicate system based on the
> list of rpms present on the original system. This is a CentOS
> based system so I looked at the kickstart file but rather than
> working with a list of rpms it uses a list of higher level
> packages that then reference groups of rpms to make up each
> package.

Well, yeah, because the RHEL way is where possible just to install groups of
packages.  That said, you can easily specify in a kickstart file a list of
packages you want installed, and unless you tell it to NOT do so, it should
also install prerequisite packages as well.  You can also tell it to ignore
the package groups it wants to do by default,

> Does anyone know of a tool that would allow me to do a fresh
> load of a bare system based on a list of desired rpms?

kickstart is what you are looking for.

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html