[ale] mythtv + xbmc suggestions wanted

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Thu Nov 19 11:48:06 EST 2009

Preston Boyington wrote:
> david w. millians wrote:
> <snipped>
>> Why myth on the backend? Don't you just need NFS or Samba...
>
> Honestly, because I really like XBMC's interface.  If XBMC handled TV I
> wouldn't worry about the MythTV.

>>> sorry I wasn't clear.  I'm planning on trying to use a USB TV Tuner
>>> Stick (like the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950) with the Acer Aspire Revo.  So
>>> far things are looking really promising for a media center.
>> ...since you're putting the tuner on the revo?
>
> correct.  that's why I want the MythTV backend/option.  that way all my
> media is handled in one nice quiet unit.

Ohhhh. I thought you meant:
xbmc on revo, with mythtv plugin
mythtv on server down the hall, and also functions as media server.

Instead of:
xbmc on revo, with mythtv and tuner
server down the hall, functioning as media server.

 From my brief flailing around with xbmc, I'm not inclined to get too
fancy with add'l functionality. I tried just an apt-get upgrade, and
borked the whole autoboot into xbmc thing.

I really want to get *mame working on it so I can get my old Atari games
working on it, but that's secondary for me to making it work as easy as,
say, my logitech squeezebox.