[ale] mythtv + xbmc suggestions wanted

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:40:03 EST 2009

H P Ladds wrote:
<snipped>
> My only issue with the ION/Atom machines is their lack of a DVD player,
> especially if it is used as a quiet frontend for a big noisy remote
> backend server. How do you play rented DVDs in the scenario?

I am planning on using a USB external DVD drive for this, but typically
I rip my movies to mp4 or avi and they are available via NFS to my
computers.  It's much easier this way since I can set up playlists for
my daughter of all her favorite movies, cartoons, etc.  DVD sets can get
expensive and little hands don't realize the cost at times.  :)

> I searched the article for "USB,"  and I'm not certain what you mean
> here. Use the USB for an external drive, booting, the remote control?

sorry I wasn't clear.  I'm planning on trying to use a USB TV Tuner
Stick (like the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950) with the Acer Aspire Revo.  So
far things are looking really promising for a media center.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/