[ale] help with hung dell after karmic install

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 20:17:36 EST 2009

Progress. Using xorg.conf.failsafe has at least given me a stable
desktop. But I gots to have my windows wobble or why get out of bed in
the morning! :-)

Brian:
I'm probably reading this wrong but lspci seems to indicate intel and
ati video:

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP
Controller (rev 03)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
[Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 01)

In any event, nomodeset didn't improve things.

I'll keep hacking the video thing. Still need to figure out why the grub
menu mostly never appears (timeout=10).

Thanks for your input so far folks.