[ale] help with hung dell after karmic install

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Nov 13 17:28:11 EST 2009

On 11/13/2009 02:43 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed ubuntu karmic on a dell d610 (circa 2005) and it keeps
> hanging after a certain amount of X activity. It seems to be fine if I
> stay at a console. But if I launch firefox it or start a system update
> it hangs. Even my ssh session locks up and it becomes unpingable. So the
> system gets truly trashed. If I start a gui terminal it may be ok but
> switching to another window does evil things to the unfocused window
> (looks like tv snow).

Does this have intel graphics? If so, try passing the nomodeset option
to the kernel. You can do this once with these instructions [0]. If it
solves the problem you can make it permanent here by adding it to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.

[0] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Editing Menus During Boot

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts