[ale] help with hung dell after karmic install

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 14:43:07 EST 2009

Hi,

I've installed ubuntu karmic on a dell d610 (circa 2005) and it keeps
hanging after a certain amount of X activity. It seems to be fine if I
stay at a console. But if I launch firefox it or start a system update
it hangs. Even my ssh session locks up and it becomes unpingable. So the
system gets truly trashed. If I start a gui terminal it may be ok but
switching to another window does evil things to the unfocused window
(looks like tv snow).

So I'm thinking it's a video problem but I don't know how to begin
isolating or fixing this. I've captured the logs and ls* output from the
pre-crash state. Any suggestions?

Two other anomalies which may/may not factor in:

1) The grub menu frequently doesn't appear but sometimes it does. This
the only OS on the disk. I did check the disk for defects before
installing: no errors found.

2) Kernel complains of missing firmware for the wireless net device.

Thanks for any help.

________
To know that you do not know is the best.
To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.
-- Lao-tzu