[ale] Server-hosting-ready home broadband

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:10:49 EST 2009

Longtime VERY happy Speakeasy customer. As long as AT&T isn't playing
turd and sneaks in a fiber line someplace, the connection abilities
from Speakeasy are many. From consumer DSL through bonded T1's, they
have pretty much any thing you can think of. They allow servers in
their terms of service and will only block off a customer in the event
of a problem (hijacked web page with scam code, spam complaints, etc).

I about gagged when I saw that Best Buy was acquiring them several
years back. But it seems BB has not tampered with a good thing and is
leaving it alone. Their (Speakeasy) customer service is outstanding
(based in Seattle, WA. native English speaking support with the
ability to instantly run a line test when diagnosing a connection
problem and the clout to get AT&T to roll a truck pretty much NOW if
the line is down between DSLAM and demark point.).

It seems Speakeasy has knowledge of the backdoor phone numbers into
AT&T service and can really get the right people to move when there is
a problem. And they are not afraid to use it!

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> A while back, I dumped Comcast for AT&T Uverse for TV and Internet and
> I've been rather happy with it.
>
> However, I'm looking into additionally hosting servers at the house,
> which means I'd want a block of statics.
>
> I'm pretty sure that AT&T can't help me if I intend to continue with Uverse.
>
> I've talked to Comcast about their business offerings since my existing
> cable drop is now dark, but what they have is more geared toward high
> down and low up as would befit an office full of YouTube/Hulu surfers.
>
> What's the landscape like these days w.r.t. Speedfactory, Speakeasy,
> Atlantic Nexus, etc. and are they going to be able to help me if Uverse
> is in the way?
>
> - Jeff

James P. Kinney III