[ale] Fwd: periodic fsck was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible

Rev. Johnny Healey rev.null at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:55:19 EST 2009

I believe the reason that you can't fsck a mounted fs is because of the
chance of writes during the fsck.  But when you make a snapshot, it doesn't
get mounted until you explicitely mount it somewhere.

sent from my shoe phone

On Nov 10, 2009 7:48 AM, "Ed Cashin" <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>
wrote

> All, > > I just read the below piece of advice which was new to me. > >
Ted Tso, the main ext4 dev...
Because fsck runs on unmounted filesystems, I would expect
there to be a need to unmount before making the LVM snapshot.

Do you have a link to Ted Tso's advice so that I can look for
details like this one?

--
 Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
 http://noserose.net/e/