[ale] [OT]atlanta beltway need this!!!

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Nov 6 17:36:42 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Heavy.
>>
>> I thought maglev provided reduced friction but also forward energy?
>>

> I'm not sure what practical systems do but I think the whole point, from
> diagrams that I remember, is to have the magnetic apparatus lift, guide,
> *and* move the train.  One diagram I recall had a sidelong "rail" onto
> which the train both pushed from above and pulled from below using a
> wicked control system to keep the train stable in real-world
> conditions.  Think about it - you've got to deal with increasing and
> decreasing grades, turns (some of which would be banked), wind, shifting
> load...and it gets worse.  You don't want to have a push-only system
> that uses simple repulsion to lift the train when the tractive force you
> get might depend on ride height - can you imagine having the whole train
> start pogo-sticking front-to-back because of differences in tractive
> force from car to car?
>
> To my mind, the risk, cost, and complexity of maglev isn't sufficiently
> justified by the speed.  I want monorail. :)

At this point, I think that only two or three maglev systems have been
built worldwide, and that none are considered currently economically
viable. I think that there is much potiential, cool as all outdoors, and
probably not happening.

As for monorail, off the top of my head I am aware of only about three
monorail systems in non-amusement park use worldwide. I think that there
is one inside a German city that is running at about 60 years of age now,
and remains viable. I get the impression that they are most viable inside
an established city, but I could well be very wrong.

Light rail (dedicated trackage for street car style cars) here is
Charlotte seems to be working out well in its first 14 mile developement.
While I recognize the problem of labor bottlenecks, I'm also extremely
tired of five lanes of parking. It's like all the drivers go on strike at
the same time...

YMMV, and probably does.