[ale] Ubuntu Compiz and Lockups

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:47:54 EST 2009

fedora handles the proprietary drivers by way of a non-fedora
repository (rpm-fusion) as well as all other manner of license
encumbered crap (mp3, video, etc.) so a 'yum update' does just that.

The auto-notifier of stuff to be updated is nice as well. You can pick
and choose and it will let you know of other things you need if there
is anything missing.

Some extra yum tool/utils (skip-broken is a great one) that allows
updates to occur and automagically backup anything that has a missing
dependancy.

These days, most dependencies are caused by slow repo synch. Wait a
few hours and it's usually all good.

Of course all bets are off if a bad yum config goes out the door (F10
first update - what fun !) :-)

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am stronly considering moving away from Ubuntu due to not being able
> to run compiz without it locking up or rebooting X.  Everythign works
> fine on my Lonevo T61 with nvidia card while compiz is turned off.  I
> know it is a petty thin but it irritates me that I can't use something I
> really like without worrying about losing work.
>
> My question is this:  Having any of you switched distro and had issues
> like this resolved?  Should I be concerned that compiz is the problem or
> compiz on ubuntu?
>
> I am thinking about going to Fedora, but one of the things I like about
> Ubuntu is that if I need to install something I just run apt and there
> it is.  Had Fedora become any better with yum about getting things
> installed or do I still have to fight with dependencies as much as I
> used to?
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Rob

James P. Kinney III