[ale] fstab question

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Nov 4 18:01:48 EST 2009

On 11/04/2009 02:45 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 14:24, Sean <kilpatms at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> Why not use /sda2, /sda3, and /sda4?
>
> Because some (probably lonely under-sexed pale-skinned
> mothers-basement-living) individual thought that all Debian/Ubnutu
> desktop systems should have all the same software configurations as
> powerful backend servers.  For presumably the same reasons you get
> Bluetooth, NetworkManager (with PPP, GSM, etc), Avahi, etc on your
> Debian/Ubuntu Server installs.

You sure you aren't thinking of Red Hat?

Johnny stuck up for Debian, and now I'm going to stick up for Ubuntu. I
just downloaded and installed ubuntu-9.10-server-i386.iso

After installation, it's using 733MB of disk space and 18MB of RAM (+/-
buffers/cache).

It's running in runlevel 2. The contents of /etc/rc2.d are README,
S50rsync, S70dns-clean, S70pppd-dns, S99grub-common, S99ondemand, and
S99rc.local

I ran dpkg --get-selections | cut -f 1 > packages_installed. The 336
lines of that file are pasted below. Things I don't see? Bluetooth,
NetworkManager, Avahi.

adduser
apparmor
apparmor-utils