[ale] lvm for ubuntu install?

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 4 17:43:08 EST 2009

Just an update that my LVM woes are gone on 9.10. After ingesting my RDA of
carbs/grease/caffeine the universe started to appear more coherent. My main
problem was not thinking like the developers who wrote the installer UI.

I assumed that "use entire disk and set up LVM" meant it would use the entire
disk for the VG and allow you to carve out LVs within that or select a
predefined scheme (otherwise, why bother right?). Once I clued into the fact
that it means "use the entire disk for the VG/PV/LV except for a small chunk
for /boot" it became clear that I wanted the Manual option.

The next mental roadblock was realizing that despite the task-oriented option
list at the top of the screen, you don't start with any of them. You start by
selecting a physical drive toward the bottom and carving out physical
partitions, one for boot and one for LVM. THEN you select the Configure LVM
task.

Not exactly the level of intuitiveness I've come to expect in installers. The
lack of on screen hints and the mismatch between the online help and reality
didn't help matters either.

But now I have a fresh squeaky clean image to play with so who cares...

--
It's not foresight or hindsight we need. We need sight, plain and simple. We
need to see what is right in front of us.