[ale] fstab question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:10:39 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> Because Gentoo uses udev to facilitate persistent naming, this isn't
> much of an issue...I've been using hd, sd, and md devices/partitions for
> years and have never had anything get flipped.

Jeff,

It did not go anywhere, but I just saw a lkml thread discussing
end-of-life (EOL)-ing the /dev/hdX drviver interface.

As part of the discussion, fstab entries with /dev/hdX was was brought
up as roadblock.  After a few emails they concluded there were so few
users still doing that, that it was not a roadblock.  (I was very
surprised by that.)

But they also agreed there was no hurry to EOL the /dev/hdX driver
set, so they just dropped the discussion.  I assume in a year or two
they will pick it back up.

But if you are depending on /dev/hdX names being stable into the
distant future, at some point you will be proven wrong and will have
to change to /dev/sdX names.  If you were using mount by label, etc.,
then you would not have a problem.

Greg