[ale] gpg "socket" question...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:05:27 EST 2009

you don't need or want that socket file. It is created for use by the
gpg-agent process as a communication channel. It won't work if moved.

It is also good to take your keys, pub and private and do an
ascii-armour export and do a paper print out and lock it away in a
firesafe. Also generate a revocation key and lock it away as well.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> When I generated my gpg keys for the Nov. 19th signing
> they were saved (by default) in my ~/.gnupg directory.
> I then tried to move the .gnupg/* files to a USB key
> that I've set aside for securely storing these files.
>
> Everything copied over except the S.gpg-agent, which
> cp refused work with because it is a "socket".  Haven't
> run across this one before and man pages on socket, cp
> and mv aren't being much help.
>
> Questions are:
>
> -- Is it important for the socket file be in the
> ".gnupg/" directory to allow access and use of
> the key files stored there?   (Assuming YES here...
> at least for any mail programs, etc. that I may want
> to access and use the keys.)
>
> -- Is there a way to copy or move a socket file like
> S.gpg-agent to a new location?
>

> I can always just create a symlink for .gnupg that
> points to a target directory and re-generate my keys,
> but I'm just curious if it's necessary or if there
> is a simpler way.
>
> Thanks!
> peace
> aaron