[ale] using ipod touch or iphone with linux

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri May 29 19:23:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Michael Hirsch<mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My daughter is starting to lust for an iPod Touch, and she has the Bat
>> Mitzvah money to make her dream come true, but I'm hesitant partly
>> because I don't have a Mac or Windows machine to talk with it.  Does
>> anyone on the list have experience with Linux and iPod Touch (or
>> iPhone)?
>>
>> I do know that I'll have to jailbreak the iPod, and I can probably use
>> my work laptop or a friend's mac for that, but after that, how well
>> does it work with Linux?  Specifically:
>>  1. I believe that amarok should work with the iPod pretty well for
>> uploading songs.  right?
>>  2. How does she install apps without itunes?
>>  3. Is she going to have to re-joilbreak the iPod every time new
>> firmware is released?
>>
>> I'm sure I've missed some issues.
>>
>> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Unless you are willing to hear her complain everytime Apple does an
> update and the jailbreak no longer works and all her music is now gone
> -
>
> avoid the apple products.

Right.  Now remember, she's 14.  Is there anything that comes close to
the coolness of the iPod touch?  Maybe if there is an Android
non-phone?

> I got my son this:
> http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304430
> for a ton less $$ than an apple product (I think the ipod earbuds cost
> more than this player!). It works with any music tool I've used. Just
> drag-n-drop mp3's onto its music folder.

But does it do sms?  Calendar?  email?  web-browsing?  Games?  Skype?
Music is only a small part of the iPod Touch experience.

> Dig around for some less expensive to loose products on Microcenter.
> They have media players as well (video and mp3) and they don't have
> the apple-gotcha-by-the-short-hairs lock in.
>
> Oh. That mp3 player can also record voice messages for playback. ipod
> stuff has no microphone.

iPod touch has mic inputs, though I don't think it has a built in mic.

Michael