[ale] Linux Curriculum Suggestions

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue May 26 21:15:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Reggie Euser wrote:
> Me too.  See:  http://www.mugatlanta.org.

Moodle is a completely different world..
It's an incredible project.. but different world.

"Moodling About" is for pseudo-traditional education paradigms.
It works best (but does not require) with a teacher/facilitator/moderator.

I have created custom completely non-moodle-ish sytems for
workplace compliance and job related learning for some small companies
and organizations like Seagate, Cigna Insurance, XL Insurance.. the NFPA..
It's a very different approach.

And that being said, what would work best depends on what the courses were
written for, and how and if they were instructor led. "Blended Learning"
is an incredible approach (pedagogy) to online learning, I have seldom
seen it done well.

And while we are exchanging geeky links: http://www.grokrock.com
and http://www.astd-chatt.org are just a few of mine...

But like I said: the LMS/Content tools are easy. Especially with Linux,
PHP and MySQL (Sigh.. )

Actual Quality Content is the issue. Reaching concensus on what quality
content is will be even harder. For example:

   Vi or EMacs or "gedit" or.. joe (still my daily workhorse).

The course that will be hardest to teach a native born Micro$ofty is just
to realize there are CHOICES and how to thrive in a world with
choices? There are sub-optimal choices in the Linux world as well...
but we shy from calling them "bad" or "wrong" choices. They exist at all
because they filled some specific need at some time.

The other issue is: certifying body. I've had systems get IACET
certification for issuing "CEU's" (http://www.iacet.org).
It's not about the system, it's about the people, their credentials, the
policies and procedures, the quality control and subject matter experts
involved.... the content.

I'd love to make it happen in the Linux world... but heck, I can barely
write e-mails. ;)