[ale] recommended webcam ?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 26 17:29:28 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Some clarification: So you have 6 people on a game night conference. 2
> can use video and the other 4 only get audio? Or no one get video?

sorry.  no one gets video.  it's just audio after the 3rd person joins.

Skype has video only for "person to person" so you can't do video
conferencing with several folks in several locations.  My guess is there
probably will be a package you can get for this option, but i've never
looked.

> conference call for game night sounds fun.

it is.  we started playing Nexuiz recently and Skype has been a great
(free) addition to the experience.  it's nice to chat with people then
shoot them in the back while they are distracted.  :)

> OK. I've got to look up a video conference tool with multiple sources
> I saw a while back. I think Eikiga can do it but my web cam on my
> laptop is an unsupported piece of junk.

I've used Ekiga in the past and it worked pretty well for me (different
equipment than what i have now).  The only "problem" i have is that a
few of the people i communicate with are Windows only.

so far Skype has been the easiest for everyone to use and it's
cross-platform.  i would love to get some others over to something else,
but this is the better of the ones we have all tried.

Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/