[ale] Usenet service with binary archives dating back to April 2008?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon May 18 03:02:27 EDT 2009

Likely you will not find _any_ provider than keeps a.b.boneless around
that long; not even if they claim to. That generates so much traffic
it would take it's own server farm to have that sort of retention. My
provider, Newshosting, claimed 110 days when I signed up with them. I
was unable to pull some things from a.b.hdtv.x264 after 99 days. The
official response was that the advertised retention is an "average."
On groups with the shear massive amount of data like the two
mentioned, the retention is a little less.

A few months ago they bumped retention to 250 days, and it looks like
they bumped it to 400 in March. I still try not to go past 99 days on
the large groups.

Also, these extremely long retentions are new. Even Giganews was only
at 150 days until earlier this year. So no one is going to have
anything dating back to April 2008 (at least not binaries).

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59