[ale] Multi-homed server networking

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Mon May 11 14:34:35 EDT 2009

I have a series of Linux servers that, for reasons beyond my control, have
only 10/100 Ethernet for connecting to their clients.  Because the servers
are multi-homed, however, I have the option of connecting them to each other
via a 10/100/1000 switch on a private IP range and that's what I would like
to do.  However, I don't want doing so to make this "backchannel" visible to
the client population in an untoward way.

For instance, if one of the servers is a Samba server and Samba
listens/talks over both eth0 and eth1, I don't want machines on either eth0
or eth1 see the Samba server twice, i.e., once directly and again "through"
the server itself to the other side.  I don't want Windows or other Samba
clients to freak.

- Jeff