[ale] VCS Suggestions

Mon May 11 12:21:49 EDT 2009

I am very fond of the way that Git allows you to separates the task of
committing and pushing/publishing/syncing/what-ever-you-want-to-call-it.
This allows you to work offline and commit each new feature bug-fix as
its own commit. Then next time you go online (or VPN, or resolve what
every would have stopped you from hitting the server) you push all
your commits up to the server.

Another thing to consider is how many different IDEs you want to plug
into (specifically MSFT VS). The most commonly supported is probably
CVS which is old and terrible. Equally supported, maybe with the
exception of MSFT VS, would be SVN and it is much improved over CVS.

You might do better to tell us what your options with MSFT VS are. I'm
sure not many of us stay up to date on that.

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM, John Temple <cjtemple at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am building a couple of new boxes at home a linux server and a new
> primary desktop. On the desktop I am going to put VMWare Workstation so
> that I can run Linux, Mac, and Windoze (my list has 6 different OSes so
> far). I do a lot of web development in PHP and MySQL but I also do a bit
> of general software development in C# and Java and starting Objective C.
> What I am looking for is a VCS to run on the Linux server that will be
> able to hook into the different IDEs that I use like Visual Studio,
> Dreamweaver, Eclipse, and XCode. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> --
> John Temple
> cjtemple at gmail.com
> http://Portfolio.JohnnJenn.com/