[ale] restricting web input

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Tue May 5 20:38:11 EDT 2009

Why rely on stupid users and javascript?  If YOU want the address for spam
purposes, they won't verify.  If THEY expect a product in the mail, they'll
be sure the address is correct (mostly).  Give them one input box and a
confirmation page.

What about verifying on your end?  Maybe use perl's www::mechanize to
screenscrape a shipping address verification service like  melissadata.com (
http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/AddressCheck.asp).  I think they check
that USPS will deliver mail to a given address.   An ebayer friend of mine
tried twice to send to a valid address.  The customer verified the address
by phone the second time.  After the product was returned to sender, he
called again.  Turns out, USPS would not deliver to her physical address.
The customer assumed they'd use UPS.

Never trust a user if you care about the input.

Brian