[ale] Alternatives to Userful?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:50:54 EDT 2009

Neal Rhodes wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm running FC10 on the office servers and Ubuntu 8.04 on an HP AMD-64
> notebook.    The notebook's video card can do independent displays
> internal/external.   I was really hoping to be able to use this on the
> road with a 2nd monitor and 2nd USB keyboard/mouse for a 2nd developer.
>
> Userful (userful.com) sounds like it would be just the thing.    However
> they don't support AMD-64 bit Ubuntu anything and have no plans to do
> so.   Any other thoughts on how to get 2 independent users on a linux
> notebook?

sounds kinda like you want a "Local Multi-User" desktop.

Here seems to be some info you might could look at:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat

and the one i remember (which is now dated) might give you some ideas also:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/