[ale] problems with ssh to tape

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Mon Mar 30 17:07:18 EDT 2009

Used to be that using shell redirect to a tape was unreliable and slow
at best, and failed at worst.  The message you get indicates to me
that it may be using the entire backup set size as the inferred
blocksize on the tape device.

I'd try piping to dd(1) (with an appropriate block size for the tape
device) rather than a simple redirect.  For example:

ssh $mach "tar -cf - $BackupThis" | dd  bs=20b  of=/dev/nst0

--
Björn Gustafsson