[ale] problems with ssh to tape

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Mar 30 16:51:25 EDT 2009

The "n" in name is "no rewind".  When you write to a tape like that it
leaves it at the end of the tape so your read request is for anything
AFTER the backup.  What you need to do is to rewind the tape and then do
the read.

You can make it automatically rewind at the end of a backup by using st0
instead of nst0.

The reason for using a no rewind device like nst0 is to add other
backups to the same tape without overwriting the existing backup.  If
you're not doing that then no need to use the nst0 device.