[ale] Just Announced - GIS Mapping Workshops in Georgia

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:20:04 EDT 2009

It will be a great day when ESRI uses an open standard for their file
format so ArcGIS can be used to produce an output file that doesn't
require a closed, proprietary product to review. As slick of a tool as
ESRI make, my wife was furious that her class project was going to be
essentially lost to her permanently once class was over unless we fork
out $$$ for ArcGIS AND $ for a Microsoft license. So she has only a
PDF we managed to generate using opensource print to pdf tools.

At least a freely available ArcGIS reader that runs on Linux, Mac and
Windows would be an improvement. Maybe an ArcGIS-lite with a maximum
layer count of say - 10 - and a maximum number of specified
coordinates of say - 100 all at a cost under $100.

In the meantime, GIS-GRASS, PostGIS and other freed tool chains get used here.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM, New Urban Research
<nur at urban-research.info> wrote:
> Yes it is ESRI Software ArcGIS 9.3
>
> Jason Graham
> New Urban Research, Inc.