[ale] Comcast Business Class experiences?

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Wed Mar 25 11:20:21 EDT 2009

Hi all,

So sadly, I think it's time to ditch Speakeasy - can't justify the
cost anymore, especially since I haven't been able to get a full 6Mbps
in a long time. The last national outage kinda sealed the deal for
me...I'm in Midtown Atlanta, if that helps...

So, I'm looking at Comcast's "Business Class" service - from talking
to a rep, I'm looking at saving about $30/month if I go with their
6Mbps/1Mbps service and get 5 static IPs (The speakeasy plan I was on
included 4, and gives me 768K up). I can make do with a single static
and shave off another $5/month, but I'm not keen on having to set up
port forwarding.

So, a couple questions -

How reliable/responsive *is* the Business Class service compared to
Comcast residential? I've heard the myriad horror stories, but they
all seem to come from the residential customers. Any insights/
experiences from Business customers here?

Does Comcast apply bandwidth caps/port blocking to Business Class
customers?

How is the CPE set up - I've seen forum posts suggesting that it's not
a true bridge, and that even a static IP is set up as some sort of 1-
to-1 NAT on the CPE. This will break my 6in4 tunneling (unless the CPE
can terminate the tunnel), so I'd like to know if it can be set up in
a true bridging mode.

All in all, think it's worth the money I'd be saving to make the move?

Thanks in advance...

-C