[ale] Fwd: [Dclug] OT: Why didnt you make the BSOD Pink?!

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Mar 24 19:56:42 EDT 2009

The pseudo Hitler link was hilarious, it was a bad day, thanks I needed that.

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I find vista offensive. I can't even _think_ about "windows 7" without
> feeling outraged.

I run Vista on an HP 1120 laptop that came with it. (it also dual boots
Ubuntu)  After taking a few days to clean all the scrapeware off of it,
remove the HP "enhancements"  and remove some pure crapware. Install
FireFox, OpenOffice, Gimp and Putty (ssh), it is almost a useful system.
It does the following better than Ubuntu on the same hardware:

   Skype. Audio drivers for the multiple mics and speakers work better
   than the Linux version.

   MSIE. I don't care what you say, testing webapps in MSIE 7 (and soon 8)
   on a genuine WinVista machine is the only way you can appreciate the
   !@*! brokedness that MSIE brings to the web. If only FireBug and Web
   Developer Toolbar had an MSIE eqiv you could possibly figure out how to
   make things almost work in MSIE.

Yep, that is all. WiFi, everything else.. Linux does better.

On the good side of today: I installed Eeebuntu 2.0 on an Eee TOP,
and got the touchcreen working... made the WinXP installl it came with
look like the half-baked-aborted-kludge that it was.

#apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch

Did the hard part. ;)

Thank you, all of you that make Linux the awesome thing that it is!

(can you tell I'm on my second (double) Gin and Tonic...and should not be
drunk-emailing?) With love, --Meuon--

ps: Can sober people feel their toes? Will check in a few days.