[ale] Debian apt help

Kenneth Ratliff lists at noctum.net
Tue Mar 24 16:26:06 EDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 10:24 PM, <dmcnash at charter.net>
<dmcnash at charter.net> wrote:
> I changed the sources.list to the from
> deb http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> and ran apt-get update;apt-get update
>
> so the update from etch to lenny is in progress.  I assume I will be
> back in business soon.
>
> I guess the etch in the first line should be stable (not etch) or on
> change over to a new major release things break.

Without going into to much detail, there are times when you want to
specifically define the release you want instead of defaulting to
stable. Otherwise, you may find yourself faced with doing an impromptu
OS upgrade when you didn't really mean to. Most of the time, this
isn't a big issue, but for some installs, it can break things to the
point where you have to get down and dirty with dpkg to make
everything play nice again. If this happens in the middle of the
customers peak business hours, they tend to be very unhappy about it.