[ale] LVM and Xen

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Mar 18 22:18:20 EDT 2009

Andrew Grieser wrote:
> I installed the xen-tools package (to get xen-create-image), and all
> worked like you said. The "guest" (domU) partitions are directly
> mapped to logical volumes in the host (dom0). Extending them is now
> as easy as logging into the host, extending the logical-volume,
> shutting down the guest, running resize2fs, and then starting the
> guest back up. Xen-tools is a pretty slick collection of scripts, it
> even caches all the downloaded debs.

You don't have to shut down the guest.  You can just run resize2fs
inside the guest while it is running.

> I'm still wondering why VM's installed via xen-create-image are able
> to mount logical volumes as partitions directly, whereas guests
> installed via 'xm create' are not. I tried borrowing sections of the
> config file generated by xen-create-image, but couldn't get it to
> work.

I don't have a test Xen machine laying around with to test anything here
right now.  I would imagine that as long as you map the LV or disk image
file to a partition instead of a whole disk (sda1 vs sda) in the config
file it should work as you would expect it to.  It almost certainly
won't do the right thing if you previously created a partition table on
that LV or image, though.

Pat