[ale] IBM to buy SUN?

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:17:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM, <dmcnash at charter.net> wrote:

> I'm guessing that IBM is buying SUN for a talent and culture infusion
> (kinda like in the movie "A Boy and his Dog".)  I can't think of anything
> coming out of IBM R&D since the RISC processor. Actually, I can't think of
> anything coming out of SUN either since SPARC or JAVA.

If you haven't seen anything come out of Sun since Java...then you need to
take a long hard look at Solaris 10.

On the buyout note, I see it as a defensive move by IBM to prevent Sun from
picking up too much momentum in the storage market with their new
stuff...which is beyond awesome, with the pleasant side effect of gaining
more control and influence over the Java community. My gut feeling on this
one is that if you are a fan of Sun's products, you are not going to like
the result of this deal...because they will cease to exist as distinct
product lines and be merged into the overall IBM portfolio, which in turn
means you better hang onto your wallet!

--
Jonathan