[ale] Why no hackable GPS

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Mar 17 14:06:07 EDT 2009

Ned Williams wrote:

> Android does not store maps, it references google maps for map info.
> One should note the g1 is not the only android platform at this point.
> Both the openmoko and zzzphone handsets both can and in the case of
> the zzz ship with android. Both of course have gps chipset.

I do not buy into the idea that the G3 network should be used by people
that need directions and maps to the local Wal-Mart.  I hate the fact
that on my Verizon phone that directions require a constant connection
to the network.   Could you imagine some idiot not knowing this programs
his phone to give him directions to  Disney from Atlanta.  For 8 hours
constant G3 usage.  If you can even get G3 on that route!

IMO, the Garmin type devices are perfect for what they were created
for.  All they require is a LOS to some GPS antennas in orbit.  They
have all the data on some flash.   What really needs to be focused on is
an open format for this data so that people that want to offer this data
for free can.  Now Garmin is competing on their updates.  You can pay
$69 for theirs or download OpenStreetMap for free.