[ale] Why no hackable GPS

Atlanta Geek atlantageek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:44:23 EDT 2009

So it looks like Dash Express is no longer building equipment.
This was a linux based GPS unit that had wi-fi and GPRS built in so
little hackable apps could be accessed over the web.
(FOR EXAMPLE
  1. What houses are for sale near this area
  2. Where is the closest locally owned coffee shop.
)
You could also email it an address or plan a trip that could be
downloaded to it.

Anyway the GPRS is nice but I would love to just have a wi-fi version
that doesnt require subscription costs or requires $60 to update
mapping software.
I realize most of the applications would not work but just the ability
to email it addresses before I leave on a job interview would save a
lot of paper.

So why isn't anyone building such items. If Chumby can sell at $200
then a freely updatable gps should sell for $300. right?

--
http://www.atlantageek.com