[ale] Freeside Atlanta

œ obeyeater at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:53:33 EST 2009

Greetings, ALE!

I'm helping to put together a hacker space in Atlanta. We're shooting
for a diverse mix of hardware, software, and security projects.

More general information about spaces like this:

 - http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hacker_Spaces
 - http://www.nycresistor.com/
 - http://www.noisebridge.net

We're in the process of organizing our 501(c)(3) nonprofit filing.
Legally speaking, our purpose will be to "engage in scientific
research in the public interest, and providing education and
assistance to the general public by organizing technical information
and research exchange."  Sexy, right?

WE ARE:

- ISS/IBM people (and former ISS people).
- Googlers.
- Arduino Atlanta people.
- dc404 people.
- Miscellaneous others.

We thought that perhaps ALE folks might want to join the ranks, as
well. It would be a nice opportunity to exchange ideas and work on
projects together.

COSTS

Our membership goal is between 20 and 30 paid members.

We're seeking a 2500 sqft (or larger) warehouse or loft style space.

We've got a tentative budget, and have discussed move-in and equipment
costs. If we have 30 members, then we'll need:

 - A $300 initial donation from everyone.
 - $80/month in dues.

... to break even. We're planning to get the 501(c)(3) status prior to
accepting any donations. Some of us work for companies that will match
nonprofit donations, so it's worth waiting for.

We are planning a reduced "starving hacker" membership rate for
talented laid-off people and students.

In the future, we'd like to pursue government and private grants. A
few of us have projects in mind that may be very aligned with that
goal.

INTERESTED?

We hope this will be a mutually positive thing for our groups. If you
want to participate, please join the discussion group:
http://groups.google.com/group/freesideatlanta

We've been meeting every Monday, at 7:30PM, at Manuel's Tavern.

Cheers!
Ken Wehr