[ale] New Nvidia Drivers

Kenneth Price neth.price at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:41:33 EST 2009

I had become increasingly frustrated with the nVidia drivers on Ubuntu up to
and including 8.10 ... but 8.10 is too damn buggy on my hardware.  Last
ditch effort was installing 173.14.12 via EnvyNG on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I
still had a crappy flicker on both the laptop's LCD and my 22" HP w2207h
LCD.  I also suffered from the firefox issue you described ... which
actually has nothing to do with firefox in particular, but that's neither
here or there.  :-)  I just got done installing 180.29 and everything's
brigher and sharper and my eyes already don't seem to be as stressed.
Hopefully I can avoid the screen freezes experienced by all the 180.* users
on the nVidia forums.  :-P  I've already determined I can't use an "visual
effects", but that applied to previous nVidia drivers as well.

If anyone's interested, I basically followed this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on:

HP Pavilion dv9500 Laptop
Video Card:  GeForce 8400M GS

Now lets see if my dual-head nVidia workstation at home benefits from these
new drivers!

-ken