[ale] Gentoo Today(was New Nvidia Drivers)

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 5 01:12:03 EST 2009

Really? I just started using Gentoo about 8mnths ago. I had heard it
used to be the "bleeding edge distro". If so, I think it is better
now. It defaults to emerging only packages deemed stable, and if you
want the latest version of a certain package you can unmask it. You
also have the option of unmasking all packages so you have the most
current version of everything. One of the reasons I love it is because
it is so stable yet very customizable.

I would be interested in getting someone's take on the subject who has
used the distro for a while now. Do you like the "new" gentoo?

Also, why did you have to recompile the kernel, it is just a module?
Is this pre-module days?

Lastly, I do think it is odd that such an important package, with such
a big bugfix wouldn't be pushed to stable sooner. Any thoughts?

-OFosho, Miami Dolphin and Gentoo Aficionado