[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Mar 4 22:51:11 EST 2009

Kenneth Ratliff wrote:

> He didn't say if he was actually getting an IP, just that he saw the
> router assign him one, but it didn't show his hostname in the table.
> If he's getting the loopback address when he pings his hostname
> (unless his hostname actually is localhost) it sounds like the
> interface just isn't configured with an IP at all

Assigning the hostname to loopback is normal when not using a static IP
address. On a debian-derived system, this address will be 127.0.1.1 [0];
I'm guessing Fedora uses 127.0.0.1.

To me, it sounds like everything is working normally and Marc is simply
missing Windows use of NETBIOS to make hostname resolution work without
any configuration. [1] I'm not sure if there's an easy way to duplicate
this (avahi-resolve?).

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/06/msg00639.html
[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218

All the best,