[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:30:20 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Kenneth Ratliff <lists at noctum.net> wrote:

> It sounds more like something is hijacking his DNS than he doesn't
> have it active. He mentioned other computers on the network, so I
> assume he has some form of local DNS running, though it's probably the
> router setting itself up as a caching name server, and if they're all
> windows boxes, I'd imagine they're using WINS to be able to ping each
> other by hostname.
>
> I had something similar with one of my first installs of etch though,
> and it turned out Avahi daemon was hijacking my DNS for that box. Once
> I turned it off, my DNS worked perfectly

Yes. Avahi can cause dns issues. But since the router is likely the
gateway and dns, it is likely not actually _running_ dns.

Also, for the router to get the dns name from the host, the linux box
will need to be configured with the proper hostname and network name.
Lastly, just because all the dns stuff is setup correctly doesn't mean
the Linux box will be able to "see" the windows machines. Most likely
they all babble some mutant protocol from mickysoft and only use dns
for intertube traffic.

James P. Kinney III