[ale] OT: M$ vs. Linux netbooks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:53:08 EST 2009

In my mind that is grounds for making copies of the offending software
and distributing them to obtain a reasonable return on the investment.

screw 'em. scan the label and post it on the web as a signature line.

</rant>

Second thought: question the legality of the license on the netbook
itself. If the same hardware costs more with the no-cost license then
maybe the OS license is a forgery. Make that suggestion the state
attorney generals office.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

>> Recommendation: Buy the lower priced box, decline the EULA and
>> demand a refund of the Microsoft tax and install the distro of your
>> choice.
>
> Microsoft has gotten around that: I believe they now require the hardware
> manufacturer to enclose the unit in a sealed inner package with a sticker EULA
> that says if you break the seal you agree to the EULA, and that EULA states that
> you CANNOT get a  refund on the Windows operating system, and if you don't like
> it, return the unit from the place of purchase for a refund under the place of
> purchase refund agreement.  Oh, by the way, if you buy it from a place that has
> a POS refund policy (or lack thereof) too bad.  Caveat Emptor.
>
> I found that on a new Toshiba laptop a month or so ago, and immediately
> recognized it as a run-around from the requirement that Microsoft offer refunds
> for their unused operating system.  I'm wondering, however, how it would stand
> up in court that Toshiba wasn't liable for refunding the money if you didn't
> agree to the EULA seal if you didn't break the seal.  My understanding is they
> could state they aren't responsible for refunds if you disagree with the EULA
> but they can't bind you to that part of the EULA because you didn't agree by
> breaking the seal.
>
> Still, it would be a *very* interesting court case!
>
> Cheers,
> Robert~

James P. Kinney III