[ale] OT: M$ vs. Linux netbooks

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Mar 4 11:03:23 EST 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Microsoft is subsidizing the XP netbook prices. They are _paying_ to
> have their rubbish installed. I have zero proof of this other than
> past knowledge of Microsoft business tactics and an extrapolation of
> Microsoft's own admission that Linux on the desktop is a greater
> business threat than Apple.
>
> Recommendation: Buy the lower priced box, decline the EULA and demand
> a refund of the Microsoft tax and install the distro of your choice.

I've thought of that, but I remember running across someone (about 6
months ago) a posting about someone who did that with a notepad. It went
back and forth for about 6 months without any refund for the EULA. The
vendors justification was that once the system is booted that
technically you have already started using the OS. This would have made
the OP's original purchase about a year ago. I have not seen anything
that reported anyone having success in accomplishing this. Unfortunately
I do not remember where I originally ran into this. Also the vendor, I
believe was also Acer.