[ale] OT: CD drive and revolution speed correlation?

Devnull devnull at iamdevnull.info
Wed Mar 4 08:13:39 EST 2009

Hi, this is kind of off-topic, but I thought that you might be able to
shed some light on this. I have done a science project that determined
the correlation between the rotation speed of a CD and the data speed
of the CD. I used the eject command to change the speed of the CD
drive, and the dd command to read all of the data off the CD. I even
used an Ubuntu CD for the tests :) I would set the CD drive to every
speed between 1 and 45, and record the time, bps, etc. Now my question
is this: When I plotted the graph, the graph indicated that there was
an exponential correlation between the data, but from what I know,
there should be a linear correlation. What I thought was that 2x is
twice the speed of 1x, 3x is thrice the speed of 1x, etc. This would
suggest speeds proportional to x, but I am not getting these results.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

--
-
/dev/null