[ale] New box (happy birthday to me)

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Mar 2 08:50:23 EST 2009

JK wrote:
> I built the 8GB Phenom box I mentioned in the "Virtualization"
> thread, and yeah, it seems to handle the guests a lot more
> smoothly than did the P4 machine I wrote about earlier :-)

Nice box, happy B'day

> Some flakiness, though, which I've googled about with not much
> luck:
>
> * The BIOS says "Installed RAM: 8192MB  Usable: 6911 MB".
> Where is 1281MB going?  The Linux kernel also sees only 6911MB.
>
> * Always at boot the Linux kernel says something like: "You
> have no RAM aperture, please enable IOMMU in the BIOS". However,
> there doesn't seem to be any such BIOS option. (Motherboard is
> an ASUS M3N78, BIOS is Phoenix/Award.)

I get the same thing. I have a Gig-a-byte MoBo with an AMD x2 chip and 4
GB RAM. It'll also say something like that it is going to use the top
64MB of RAM making it unavailable to the OS I had read somewhere that
this has something to do with video frame-buffer, but I can't seem to
find anything that directly addresses the IOMMU BIOS option at either
Gig-A-Byte or AMD since the MoBo has AMD chipset.

> * Often at boot time the Linux kernel says "Unable to enumerate
> devices on USB interface 3". When this happens the machine
> usually hangs with a black screen :-(  (And no ctl-alt-f1 console
> joy, either.) If it gets past this point, though, it boots fine
> (into Ubuntu Intrepid AMD64 desktop).

I'll get this error too, although mine has never hung. Haven't been able
to find anything on that one.