[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Tue Jun 23 15:10:56 EDT 2009

Vernard Martin wrote:
> ok, this is going to sound like I've been watching too many sci-fi
> movies but I want to obtain a device that can block cell phone reception
> in about a 10 to 20 yard radius. This is not for myself but for a friend
> of mine. He is one of those people that runs the Team Trivia events at a
> local sports bar. He is having a hard time with folks cheating by
> looking up the answers to trivia questions on their blackberries and
> such. He is hoping that he can block the signal they are using.

ok, first things first:

Thanks for all the useful and insight technical responses to the
question asked.

And just so everyone can know, my friend doesn't know anything about RF
technology or how cell phones work.  He half jokingly mentioned that he
wanted to be able to shut off all cell phone access. *I* am the one that
suggested the blocker and wanted to figure out how to build it. So if
anyone is the moron/idiot here it is me. Feel free to send the feds to
my door. :-)

As always, this list provides endless information and entertainment :-)