[ale] Email, base-64 decoding

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:05:56 EDT 2009

Ugh. OK. IRIX has (remnants) of perl packages. Most of the mime tools
are perl modules. As long as the basic perl core in in place, you
should be able to monkeywork from that.

If you can uudecode it to html, get text out of that with lynx -dump

given the sorry state of IRIX (should have sold Cray _WITH_ the Cray
debt!), a different machine for reading email on may be easiest.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Ken Cochran<kwc at theworld.com> wrote:
> Not an option; I don't have control of the server, I'm just
> a shell user.  Fwiw the host OS is Irix.  Is there anything I
> can use/make/cobble together that'll "unpack" these kinds of
> email messages?  Their "native" format is gibberish.
>
> -kc
>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:09:32 -0400
>> From: Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
>> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
>> Subject: Re: [ale] Email, base-64 decoding
>>
>> If you run your mail through MailScanner, you can convert all incoming
>> email to plain text (and dump spammers crap, etc).
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Ken Cochran<kwc at theworld.com> wrote:
>> > Seems that nowadays I get more & more email that appears to be
>> > base-64 encoded.  Is there any way to decode these messages
>> > without resorting to web or a gui mail client?  "Berkeley"
>> > mail just gives me something that looks like it's uuencoded
>> > and mutt might decode it but if what's inside is html, that
>> > doesn't work either.  I need some kind of command-line tool
>> > a la munpack; ideas?  What typically generates email in this
>> > crazy coding scheme in the 1st place?
>> >
>> > I just sent Newegg a nastygram over this kind of email to the
>> > tune that I'll do no further business with them if they can't
>> > send me order-related email in a format I can read.
>> >
>> > FAQ / doc pointers welcome.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -kc

James P. Kinney III