[ale] Email, base-64 decoding

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Jun 22 15:49:56 EDT 2009

Seems that nowadays I get more & more email that appears to be
base-64 encoded.  Is there any way to decode these messages
without resorting to web or a gui mail client?  "Berkeley"
mail just gives me something that looks like it's uuencoded
and mutt might decode it but if what's inside is html, that
doesn't work either.  I need some kind of command-line tool
a la munpack; ideas?  What typically generates email in this
crazy coding scheme in the 1st place?

I just sent Newegg a nastygram over this kind of email to the
tune that I'll do no further business with them if they can't
send me order-related email in a format I can read.

FAQ / doc pointers welcome.

Thanks,

-kc