[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Mon Jun 22 12:11:02 EDT 2009

ok, this is going to sound like I've been watching too many sci-fi
movies but I want to obtain a device that can block cell phone reception
in about a 10 to 20 yard radius. This is not for myself but for a friend
of mine. He is one of those people that runs the Team Trivia events at a
local sports bar. He is having a hard time with folks cheating by
looking up the answers to trivia questions on their blackberries and
such. He is hoping that he can block the signal they are using.

I personally don't think its possible without introducing a helluva lot
of signal noise in the area that will screw up other stuff (possible
including human life) but I thought it was best to pose the question to
the best set of techno-geeks that I know.

Any ideas? And yes, this does not address the issue of legality at the
moment, :)